Sunday, May 28, 2006

We Save Flat Soda From the Bottom of the Cans Too...Because You Just Never Know

When my son had his 3rd birthday, we threw him his first "friend party." It was filled with kids and loud music and adults running around trying to keep anything under 3 feet within our picnic area. We fed the kids peanut butter and honey sandwiches. (Nathan has eaten one of these every day since he was 1. If you squeeze his tummy and smell his breath, you will detect the scent of Skippy Creamy.)

Look at those fascinating sandwiches!
Neither of these children are mine.
But they sure are cute, aren't they?


To make the sandwiches not your ordinary sandwiches, we cut them into star and flower shapes. Actually, David pitched in for this one since-in standard Bethany fashion-I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and found myself flinging peanut butter and cake and party favors all over our kitchen. He made the sandwiches and cut out the shapes and loaded them up very neatly into a big Tupperware container. They were a big hit. The kids totally loved them, Nathan said I was the best mom ever to walk the face of the earth and my friend's son who has a brother allergic to peanuts was able to try peanut butter for the first time. The kid inhaled the sandwiches.

It was a few days-OK, fine more like a few weeks-later when we were cleaning out the fridge that I found it: A big gallon sized Ziploc bag in the back of the fridge. I looked at the contents crammed into the bag and figured part of it must be bread but what in the world is the rest of it? I held the bag up to my husband with a questioning look on my face.

"What is this?"

"The crusts from the cutouts of the sandwiches from Nate's birthday party."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"The crusts-"

"You SAVED them?"

"Well, look at them! Put them all together and they make-like-5 whole sandwiches! We can't throw those out!"

**cricket, cricket**

3 comments:

  1. Oh that is so something Daniel would do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what the hell? i am just shaking my head? crusts? WHAT? please tell david, if i was there, i would beg him to throw them out. . .

    ReplyDelete