Thursday, April 26, 2007

Sometimes You Have to Be Reminded that You are The Sparrow

I was mad.
Like, really mad.
Seething mad.

SOMEONE had messed with MY PLANS.

And if you know anything about me, you need to know that my PLANS should NOT be messed with.

Cooking up a big batch of righteous indignation, I sped down the street to take Nathan to school hoping I could get him dropped off in time to get my favorite Starbucks drink and get back home so I didn't miss my appointment. I thought up ways I could demonstrate to my last minute guest just how much he had REALLY messed up my day and therefore MY ENTIRE LIFE.

The plan was as follows: My unwelcome guest would arrive, I would be "on the phone" telling the person on the other end how I was so sorry that I couldn't make it to her house today after all the planning we had done. I know I said I'd be there but I had no choice. We will just have to reschedule our playdate. I know, I am so sad too. Well, I have to go I guess.

How awesome is THAT?
I am amazing.

Breaking into my Inner Rant of Grandmother Sized Guilt was a small, sweet voice, "Mommy, I want to listen to 'Glory in the Highest' after 'Everlasting God'" (our newest obsession.) I agreed to my daughters request, advanced the CD to the correct track and continued my (inner silent) tirade.

I am so mad, I am so mad.

You are the first
You go before
You are the last
Lord, You're the encore


I am so mad.

All the earth will sing Your praise
The moon and stars, the sun and rain


I am so......um, what am I?

You see it was about then that my daughters sweet voice joined in the chorus of this beautiful song and she belted our my Savior's Praise.

Glory in the highest
Glory in the highest


My anger was diffused completely within the 3.5 miles to Nathan's school. And it reminded me of something so BIG that it is tiny enough to miss: God is in the little things.

Little things like a two year old's singing voice. An unexpected hug and snuggle from a child as you say goodbye. The story of snail races. A longer naptime than expected. A peaceful walk with your family.

And while many times in our day we can take these little things and stop there, they often are to prepare for something bigger in your day. God is taking these "little things" and using them to bring your regularly unpeaceful life some peace, to allow a genuine smile to pass your normally frowning lips. He is freeing up your mind and your heart so that when it is toward the end of your day and you receive news that scatters your heart in a thousand directions you can process that news and properly deal with it.

I could have been angry with God tonight, angry that He took my lovely evening with my family and destroyed it so quickly. But this is not the case. instead, I see that He has healed my spirit. He has taken care of me. He has loved me.

Look for the little things in your life.
Cherish them.
Because you never know what they are preparing you for.

No comments:

Post a Comment