Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Generations

I called my grandma on the phone today.


Its something I don't usually do, but I needed to tell her something and I really wanted to hear her voice.


I am not super close with my grandmother. I kind of have some issues with her...nothing that needs a heart to heart sit down but I certainly let it get in the way of my relationship of her and therefore my contact with her is at a minimum.


Today, my heart was tugged, pulled in one way and another and then changed just a little bit. I sat down and tried to offer the best comfort I could for my friend who lost her beloved grandmother today. She felt so very sad, so lonely for a woman she called once a week. She told me her grandmother would laugh because my friend would say she needed her "grandma fix."


And then I read my friends blog. A beautiful writing in honor of a woman she knew so well and missed long before her grandmother's passing because of the miles and miles between them.


When I called my grandmother today, it was very nice. We chatted, exchanged stories, the kids told her some stories that needed a bit of translation from Toddler Speak. Right before we hung up, I told my grandmother that I would be calling her again soon and that i didn't know why I hadn't made it a habit sooner.


I would love for your heart to be warmed by the beautiful words my friend Lyrra wrote. She was gracious enough to allow me to share it with all of you. Simply click here and if it touched you, leave her a comment telling her so.


Over the last 7 months, 3 close friends have lost their grandmothers. One of which I was close to and I loved very very much. Our time on this earth is fleeting and leaves us only a short time to do our most important work, to make our most important decisions.


I want to make my moments count.

No comments:

Post a Comment